Blog Catalog

History Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

Followers

Thursday, July 12, 2007

The County Farm



Participating in a hand held GPS club, Geocaching, I ran across a very interesting hide Southwest of the community of IKE on Farm Rd 878.
According to geocacher Gurubob
"This site was once an African-American prison farm. Many men lived and died here paying their debt to society. They worked this (some 300+ acres) and several other County farms. I surveyed the property a couple of years ago. During the survey an old man that had grown up on an adjoining property told me he had seen several men buried on this farm. Only a few of the graves have been established but, many are still unlocated."

Well the fact that Gurubob thought it was an African-American prison farm, may be a case of mistaken identification. According to a cemetery historical marker(N 32degrees 23.335 W096degrees 47.552) on 879 directly Southeast of the County Farm building ,
"ELLIS COUNTY FARM CEMETERY, "This fenced area marks the boundaries of what has sometimes been called the pauper cemetery, one of possibly three burial grounds on old county farm land that served as the final resting place for some Ellis County's poor farm residents. County officials purchase 450 acres between 1893 and 1895 to create the farm for the support and employment of the needy. The earliest death recorded at the facility was that of Albert Estes in 1890; the last was Dave Madison in 1946. Iron pipes driven into the ground once identified the graves of some of the other 73 individuals whose names are recorded in county records."


So I'm thinking that maybe there were poor blacks that work the fields but not any prisoners. Or maybe it is possible that some of the not so dangerous criminals were given the option to work on the farm. Whatever the case the site of the hallowed ground is in a tall grass field with a white rod iron fence boundary about 50 yards by 30 yards.

The building is made of brick and had electricity at one time. It has a main entry room and around ten small rooms. The small rooms are small. Like 10 feet by 6 feet but about 10 feet high. The bricks say "standard" on them. It appears the roof had a brick wall around it but is crumbling. It has a hallway that cuts the building in half longways. That does make it appear like a jail walkway. Above the doors is a wood rectangular frame. probably window you could open. The first time I had visited the place it seems like I remember seeing iron bars over one end window opening. If I ever find the picture I will post. It may be a faulty memory.

I ran into a nice guy (even though he is an Aggie fan) on a 4 wheeler while I was touring the building. He said his family has lived on the surrounding land for years and that his brother and him had camped in the dilapidated county building as kids. He always believed it was a prison farm. Apparently there were more buildings to the farm. It is still owned by the County because I read a "letter to the editor" of the Waxahachie Daily Light by Jimmy Simmons. Mr Simmons suggests that an alternative to the Ellis County's 53.875 million dollar facilities bond could be partial solved by building an "adequate facility" "on the county farm, for instance, for a relatively small amount." I found Simmons Letter to the Waxahachie Daily Light on Joey Dauben's Ellis County Observer.
UPDATE LINK: Blog for Ellis County Texas History: Update:The County Farm History Found

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what that building was. Why don't they tear it down?

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

I have had the first generation iPhone for a long time now. But when the new iPhone 3G S came out, i pre-ordered it. I picked it up at the store today, but I don't know how to sync information, specifically my contacts list, from my old iPhone to my new one. If you know how to do this, i would really appreciate the help. Thanks.
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://sailing.fickel.at/index.php?gallery-show-14-p1&diashow=start&sek=10]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific made site!
Just thought this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/spongebob-party-supplies.html]spongebob Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such stories. I love to read stories like this. By the way add more pics :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd love to thank you for such a terrific quality site!
Was thinking this is a nice way to introduce myself!
If you want to produce wealth it is usually a sensible idea to start a savings or investing strategy as early in life as feasible. But don't fear if you have not thought of saving your money until later on in life. As a result of honest work, that is consulting the best investment vehicles for your cash you can slowly but surely increase your property so that it measures to a sizable sum by the period you want to retire. Inspect all of the available asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A wisely diversified portfolio of investments in a wide range of asset classes may help your money rise throughout the years.

-Kelly Siemers
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency exchange rates[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

Powered By Blogger