Input much appreciated
Monday, July 9, 2007
A mixture of history here. The old bridge was moved from Chambers Creek in 1981 and has a sister bridge on Waxahachie Creek in the South part of downtown Waxahachie near the walking trail. According to Joe Bento of Ellis County the bridge was purchased by a developer and placed here. It was loved by the community but Txdot decided a modern bridge was needed to take it's place in 2005. They have left the old bridge there but can not be driven on. The Bridge was built by the Iron bridge company of Canton, Ohio and completed in 1888.
To see how the bridge looked when it was functional at the 1890 crossing go to Mr Joe Bento link at Texas Escapes web-site.
The 1890 crossing of Spring Creek is where the early settlers crossed the low water spot. I'm guessing part of a trail. I have heard that wagons would leave shallow ruts in the white rock. It looks like there are perpedicular lines across the creek under the bridge but I don't know if they were from wagons. (I was told by an old timer in Ovilla that somewhere down on Red Oak Creek, maybe off Westmoreland, that there are visible wagon tracks.) I believe there was a concrete path that went into the creek when the old bridge was functional. That maybe what the lines in the creek's white rock are from.
coordinates n 32 degrees 25.737' w096 degrees 48.691'
- Johnson County Genealogical Society
- Texas History Page
- Texas Methodist History
- Dallas History Forum
- North Texas History Center
- Blog Cabin Village
- Texas History Page
- Texas History & Genealogy Blog
- Glenn's Texas History Blog
- Alamo Sentry
- Historic Bridge Foundation
- The History of the Lone Star State
- Texas Reader
Ellis County History Resources
- ► 2008 (52)
- The Waxahachie Civil War Powder Mill and It's Mys...
- Update:The County Farm History Found
- Ellis County, where the Buffalo Roam?
- ~ ~ ~ ~ROCKY FALLS ~ ~ ~
- -----The Ovilla Observatory----
- The incident in Ovilla that gave Squaw Creek it's ...
- The County Farm
- Hang'em High
- 1890 Crossing
- Why was the first marriage in the Ellis County are...
- The Newton Cabin
- Where did the name Midlothian come from?
- Where did Ellis County Indians get there Flint?
- Crude Arrow Head found below Indian Hill by me
- What tribe of Indians were in Ovilla when settlers...
- Ellis County Named for...
- ▼ July (16)